Its very cold, and very wet in Invercargill this weekend, so as a result work has slowed a little on the DMC.
I did manage to get some work done though, remember the brake calipers?
After taking them off the car, I took them to AER for beadblasting. AER always do a great job and they are fast too, so they came back like this:
I was hoping the calipers were aluminum and I could start putting them back together, but a quick check online and I found they are steel, so I dropped them off to an elecroplater in town, and they came back like this:
Yesterday I started re-assembling. This was very easy as I used the video in my last post as a guide. The trickiest part I found was getting the dust covers to sit properly so I could get the clips on. I found the trick is to get the piston right down so it is sitting on the base of the cylinder. Once the piston is all the way in, wrapping the dust cover over the outer lip and putting the clip on is easy.
I put all the new seals, clips and cross-pipes on the calipers but was annoyed to find 2 of my rear caliper’s bleed valves were missing. I’d ordered new valves for the front calipers as they were in pretty bad shape, but I was planning on cleaning up the rear bleed screws. Although I put all the parts in the same box as I disassembled the calipers, 2 of the screws are nowhere to be found. This is frustrating as I was hoping to finish the brakes this weekend.
I looked around town and online, but none of them matched mine, so I have emailed DMC to see if I can order new ones.
I try to do each job one at a time, rather than doing multiple jobs at a time, so parts don’t get mixed up or lost, which is why I haven’t started on the master cylinder or lines yet, I want to get the calipers ready for re-installation, then do the lines, followed by re-mounting the calipers, then the master cylinder.
I also got my fascias back from Roadrunner panel & paint so I decided to test fit the front fascia back on the car. Partly so it wasn’t sitting on the floor and partly because I wanted to see what the car looked like with it back on. I’ve only rough-fitted the fascia, grille and hood for this photo, as I have to take them off again soon anyway:
I have to admit, I had a “wow” moment when I stepped back, I’d almost forgotten what she looked like with all her panels in place. I need to adjust my headlights quite a bit, as I only put them together by eye, but now the fascia is on I can see how bad the alignment is.
I also had a massive tidy-up of my workshop, hoping to find those missing bleed screws, but they are still no where to be found. While I was tidying, I put up some new shelves for tools/parts I don’t use often enough to warrant being in my toolbox.