Sorry about the punny title 🙂

Today I made a start on the brakes, I emailed DMC asking to quote for their brake kits as they do a quote for the parts and shipping together for me. They replied saying the pistons in the callipers aren’t included in the kits I have asked for and that I should check the state of the pistons before ordering as I may need new ones. They also sent some instructions for checking if my brake booster/servo is actually faulty as they don’t usually have issues.

I pumped the brake pedal a few times with the engine off, and there is no resistance at all, the pedal just goes right down to the floor, suggesting the seals in the booster have failed. Then I went to start the car to see if any fluid moved in the master cylinder with the engine running and the pedal being pumped. She was refusing to start again! I was having flashbacks of the last time I went to start on the brakes and ended up replacing all the fuel injectors.

I went back to the engine to have a look if the throttle was disconnected or an adjustment had moved and saw the Cold Start Valve was disconnected. I had recently been measuring the resistance on the CSV and the warm up regulator for a friend who suspects his are faulty and I hadn’t reconnected the CSV. I plugged it back in and the car fired up first time. You can imagine I was fairly relived. I got my wife to watch the brake fluid reservoir while I pumped the brakes.

The back wheels have a wee bit of ‘clutch drag’ and spin when the engine is running. Pumping the brake pedal didn’t stop them spinning and my wife said nothing was moving in the reservoir, so I think I will replace the master cylinder as well as the booster.

Moving on to the calipers, I chocked the front right wheel and took the wheel off. I then undid the brake lines with ease and undid the bolts holding the calipers to the steering knuckles. The bolts were pretty tight as I expected but I didn’t have to do anything unusual to undo them. I just used the longest ratchet extension I had and I used the solid bar, rather than the ratchet itself.

Once the caliper was off, I drained it of fluid and took the bleeder out. the bleeder is pretty rusty so I will replace it. I got the pad pins and pads out with no issues, but I couldn’t undo the bolts on the caliper itself as I need a vise. I’m going to talk nicely to my Mechanic friend and ask if I can take the calipers to his workshop so I can undo the bolts there.

The other caliper came out with no issues, following the same method. The only thing I’m stuck on at the moment is trying to get the brake lines out of their brackets, as they have rusted in and putting pressure on them is just bending the bracket. I’m going to get some heavy duty penetrant during the week which should hopefully get them moving. I also noticed one of the suspension isolators is perished, so I’ll replace this at the same time.